Action Research: Care Model
Tool 8.1 CARE Model: Planning Tool
Identify Concerns that must change (look to the future)
(Assign points to concerns from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important issues to consider.)
1. Reduce unwanted behaviors in class during instruction time.
2. Current lunch detention is ineffective.
3. The need for someone to enforce repercussions for not showing up to detention.
Identify Affirmations that must be sustained (look to the present)
(Assign points to affirmations from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important issues to consider.)
1. Discipline is part of classroom management.
2. Removing social time from students is a motivator for good behavior.
3. Change in the current lunch detention is needed.
SMART Recommendations that must be implemented:
(Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely)
(Assign points to recommendations from 1 to 3 in the order of the most important recommendations to implement.)
1. Teachers must record detention assignments properly (google docs).
2. Detention rules must be enforced.
3. Students must be told why they are serving lunch detention.
EVALUATE – Specifically and Often
(Identify the best ways to evaluate the implemented recommendations.)
1. Google Docs form is accessible to all teachers, updates daily. Used to check in students.
2. Students sign and agree to detention rules – Facilitator is to enforce them.
3. Students write a reflection in detention on why they are in detention, who gave them detention and how can they avoid being assigned detention again. Do students understand the behaviors contributing to the assignment of detention?